Carbon Monoxide ‘Killed Three Americans at Sandals Resort in the Bahamas’ After Rumors of ‘Faulty Air Conditioning’ at Their Villas
Three American tourists who were found dead at a Sandals resort in the Bahamas died from carbon monoxide poisoning, a new report claims.
Michael Phillips, 68, and Robbie Phillips, 65, of Tennessee, as well as Vincent Chiarella, 64, of Florida, were all found dead on May 6 inside neighboring villas at the resort on Great Exuma Island. The trio were not traveling together.
Vincent’s 65-year-old wife, Donnis, was last said to be in good condition after recovering at a hospital in Miami.
A local pathologist will be releasing a report Monday saying that carbon monoxide poisoning was determined to be the cause of death, according to an advance copy obtained by the Nassau Guardian.
The families are still waiting for a private test conducted by a pathologist in the United States.
Several recent reviewers on TripAdvisor reported seeing bugs in their rooms and one guest speculated that issues with the air conditioning may have caused Freon poisoning.
All three had reportedly sought medical treatment while staying at the resort, the Nassau Guardian reported.
A spokesperson for Sandals would not comment on the possibility of food poisoning and referred DailyMail.com to an earlier statement.
The American victims were all said to have suffered from convulsions before their deaths.
When Donnis Chiarella, from Panama, Florida, woke up she was paralyzed and saw her now-late husband not moving across the room, the couple’s devastated son Austin Chiarella previously told ABC News.
‘She woke up and my dad was laying there on the floor, and she couldn’t move,’ he said. ‘Her legs and arms was swollen and she couldn’t move and she screamed to get someone to come in the door.’
The stricken son said his mom had first fallen ill one day earlier, and visited a local clinic. She was discharged shortly afterwards, and believed her health had improved.
An initial investigation also found that the Phillips’ had ‘complained of illness the previous evening,’ cops previously announced, adding that the pair ‘attended the local Medical facility’ where they received treatment, and then returned to their lodging.
This is an excerpt from The Daily Mail.
Scroll down to leave a comment and share your thoughts.